Health & Safety / Roller Machinery Incident – Scarf entangled causing strangulation
Roller Machinery Incident – Scarf entangled causing strangulation
Event Title: Roller Machinery Incident – Scarf entangled in roller causing strangulation
Event date: 6 May 2021
Event location: Eastpack
An employee’s scarf was caught in a roller on a grading line. The scarf tightened around the employee’s neck and caused an injury before the line could be stopped and the employee freed.
Initial Actions Taken:
- E-stop was pulled after almost a minute of the employee becoming trapped.
- All team leaders within the Packhouse conducted one on one visual checks for loose clothing.
- Red alert issued.
Lessons and Recommendations:
- Remove or secure any loose clothing before commencing work.
- Encourage the use of the E-stop the moment someone becomes entangled in the machinery.
- Investigate adequate guarding on roller machinery.
- Display Pinch Point warning signs.
- Add as a hazard topic for better awareness in future training.
- Review E-stop locations to ensure they are effective.