Water conservation and usage
- Use your water meter reading
- Compare daily use with allocation
- Understand the language i.e. 1 mm per ha = 10 M3 per ha.
Not all parts of the business are the same
- Consider potential yield/quality impacts.
- Prioritise irrigation to higher gross margin varieties/crops/age.
- Survival water only for harvested, young and immature perennial crops, allocating any surplus to crops still to be harvested.
- There may be further post-harvest risks to be managed. Talk with your post-harvest facility/supply group/marketer.
- Discuss water-sharing possibilities with your neighbours.
- Understand and modify infrastructure to allow irrigation split based on your new strategy, e.g. taps, drip line, solenoid changes.
- Consider bore depth and pumping rates to protect access to aquifer. This may restrict your irrigation prior to further allocation restrictions.